A new idea that would positively impact thousands throughout Iowa.
In 1985, it was recognized that businesses across the state were in need of professional assistance in starting, maintaining and growing their businesses. With this in mind, the University of Northern Iowa began a new collaboration to develop programs with the purpose of providing outreach to businesses and communities across Iowa.
Over the next decade, UNI leadership devoted considerable time to better understand local-level economic development needs across the state. The outcome resulted in the creation of 12 programs that would address specific needs such as community and economic development, entrepreneurship and the environment.
The programs were brought together in the year 2000 under the umbrella of Business and Community Services (BCS). BCS works with businesses, entrepreneurs, communities and governments, providing a wide array of services from marketing research and business incubation, to environmental compliance assistance and economic development. The BCS brand continues to grow to cater to the needs of Iowa businesses providing unsurpassed expertise and knowledge.
Business and Community Services Programs
- Center for Business Growth and Innovation
- Iowa Waste Reduction Center
- Institute for Decision Making
- Strategic Marketing Services
- UNI John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center
- Advance Iowa
- The Metal Casting Center
- Tallgrass Prairie Center
- Center for Energy & Environmental Education
- Geoinformatics Training, Research, Education & Extension (GeoTREE)
- Recycling and Reuse Technology Center
- Small Business Development Center