A business degree from UNI's business college will guarantee career flexibility in an unpredictable job market.
Get ready to make an impact.
As a teaching-focused university, UNI's faculty will put you first. They bring their experience and expertise into the classroom and supplement their courses with knowledge gained through intensive research, career service and engagement. You can enhance your knowledge and skills through student-faculty research beginning your very first year!
You will also discover UNI’s value. More than 94 percent of first-year students receive some type of financial assistance. Breaking away from national trends, UNI graduates’ average student loan indebtedness has decreased by nearly 13 percent over the past seven years, and they owe less than students who graduate from most all other institutions in Iowa. It's no surprise that UNI ranks in the top third of all U.S. institutions in Money Magazine's "2017 Best Colleges for Your Money" list.
UNI Business Scholars Academy
If you have a stellar academic record and you're a first-year college student, you can qualify for the UNI Business Scholars Academy. The Academy includes direct admission to the business college which will open the door to many opportunities, including:
- Designated sections of first-year business core courses
- One-credit optional topics course(s)
- Special Scholars Academy events throughout the semester
If you qualify for admittance into the UNI Business Scholars Academy, you may be eligible to receive various University and UNI business college scholarships.
- University scholarships: https://finaid.uni.edu/freshmen-in-state-scholarships
- UNI business college scholarships: https://finaid.uni.edu/business-scholarships
The following criteria must be met for admission into the UNI Business Scholars Academy:
- You are a first-year student and have indicated the College of Business Administration as your college of choice. This includes international students.
You have a high school GPA of 3.85
You are a first-year student and have indicated the College of Business Administration as your college of choice. This includes international students.
- You scored a 25 or higher on the ACT exam (SAT equivalency of 1200 or higher) AND have a 3.5 GPA
If you meet the university’s criteria for admission, we'll automatically review your application to determine if you're eligible for the UNI Business Scholars Academy. You will be notified by Dean Leslie K. Wilson of your acceptance.
Contact Jenny Connolly for more information.
How and when to apply to UNI
To get a jump start on your plans, it's important to apply for admission early in your senior year of high school. This will allow you plenty of time to apply for university and pre-business scholarships.
Dates to note for admittance to UNI
- Complete your application your senior year of high school
- The university scholarship application form is available starting September 1. Applications must be received by January 15 to be considered for business college and business departmental scholarships. You will be notified in March or April for the following academic year's awards.
Business College Admission Requirements
In addition to UNI's admission requirements, students seeking a business degree must complete the required business core coursework before admission to the business college. All courses are required and some are prerequisites to major-specific courses.
Business Core courses are taken in your Freshman and Sophomore years in combination with university-level Liberal Arts Core courses. They include:
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Statistics for Business Analytics
- Decision Analytics
- Principles of Financial Accounting
- Principles of Managerial Accounting
- Introduction to Information Systems
- Principles of Marketing
- Corporation Finance
- Organizational Management
- Legal and Social Environment of Business
- Operations Management
- Business Policy and Strategy
- Intro Seminar for Business Professionals
- Business Professionals in Training
You will be eligible for admission to the business college upon completion of the following requirements:
- Completion of the ALEKS Mathematics Placement Examination
- 30 cumulative semester hours of college credit
- C- or better in the following business foundation courses:
ECON 1021 Decision Analytics OR
ECON 1011 Statistics for Business Analytics and ECON 1041 Principles of Macro-Economics
- C- or better in an approved English composition course:
ENGLISH 1005 College Writing and Research or equivalent, Writing enhanced section of ENGLISH 1120 Literature (topic), ENGLISH 2015 Craft of Academic Writing, ENGLISH 2120 Critical Writing About Literature,
Writing enhanced section of RELS 1020 Religions of the World, UNIV 1000/1010 First Year Cornerstone (C- or better in both semesters) OR CLEP credit in ENGLISH 1005, English Composition with Essay
PLEASE NOTE: ENGLISH 1002, College Writing Basics DOES NOT satisfy the writing requirement for admission to the business college
- Total or UNI* cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 on all university-level courses *(UNI cumulative GPA must be based on 12 or more credit hours)
- Declaration of Curriculum form filed with the Office for Professional Dis (CBB 5)
Applications for admission will be evaluated only after students have completed and received grades for the requirements listed above. If you don't meet the requirements after 30 hours of credit, you may complete additional course work and reapply. All forms should be submitted on a timely basis to ensure proper handling and access to course registration. Forms and information about deadlines are available at the Office for Professional Distinction (CBB 5).
If you plan to major in business, we STRONGLY ADVISE you to complete MGMT 2080, Introduction to Information Systems, prior to enrolling in upper-division business courses.