Each year, UNI accounting students prepare hundreds of tax returns free of charge.

UNIBusiness offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program was established by the Internal Revenue Service to help those who may find it difficult to pay for tax preparation services. Certified volunteers receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. The UNI accounting department staffs a site to serve members of the Cedar Valley community.

How does UNI VITA work?

Senior or graduate-level accounting students prepare and e-file federal and state tax returns and answer any tax-related questions during peak tax preparation months. The program is an option for those who make $66 thousand or less, persons with disabilities and/or limited English speaking taxpayers. The UNI site is open Monday and Wednesday evenings during the months of February through April in the Curris Business Building on the University of Northern Iowa campus.  This is a drop-in service. No appointments will be taken.

Documentation requirements for preparing tax returns 

The following documents are required for preparing tax returns.


Social Security Cards
Bring for taxpayer, spouse, and dependents

Valid Photo Identification

For foreign students and scholars ONLY

Prior Year Tax Returns
A copy of last year’s Federal and Iowa tax returns

Form W-2
Wage and Tax Statement (Acquire one from each employer)

Forms 1099
Interest, dividends and any other miscellaneous income

Form 1098T
Tuition payment statement (also bring institution billing statement)

Form 1098E
Student loan interest statement

NEW Proof of Health Insurance
Information as to health insurance coverage for you and your dependents (Form 1095-A from the Health Insurance Marketplace, Form 1095-B or 1095-C)

Banking Information
Account and routing numbers for checking or savings account

List of Additional Income Information
Income from disability, interest, state tax refund, alimony, tip, pension, IRA, unemployment, social security, self employment, gambling, awards and other sources of income.

List of Additional Expense Information
Expenses from IRA, other retirement accounts, alimony paid (needs social security number of recipient), education, un-reimbursed medical, home mortgage payments, charitable contributions, real estate taxes and any other sources of expenses.

UNI VITA will not prepare:

  • Income is greater than $66,000
  • Schedule C
  • Sale of business property
  • Rental Income
  • Prior Year Tax Returns
  • ITIN Returns
  • Foreign Tax Credits
  • Married Filing Separate Returns
  • Military Complex Returns

ONLY Federal and Iowa returns will be prepared. Both spouses must be present for married filing joint returns. Only a limited number of returns will be prepared each night.

For more information on this year's UNI VITA site open dates and times, please email the Department of Accounting or call 319-273-2394.

Latest News & Views

Cedar Valley Food Runner
EatStreet acquires UNI student start up

Russel Karim (Computer Science & Entrepreneurship '15) has always been a problem solver, and he saw a problem in the Cedar Valley food scene. 

4 months 1 week ago