An internship or cooperative education experience (co-op) is becoming more and more important to career development. Many companies are choosing to hire entry level employees solely through their own internship programs. Others are choosing to hire only those students who have demonstrated the ability to apply their education on the job through an internship. During job interviews, recruiters are particularly interested in hearing about students' intern and work experiences.
Get ahead in your career - while you're still in school - with an internship or cooperative education experience.
Successful internships and co-ops:
- add concrete experience to your resume.
- give you an inside look at a specific field or industry.
- open doors to a career with a company when you perform well as an intern.
- are valuable networking opportunities.
- increase awareness of professional expectations.
Other benefits include pay, academic credit and the increased confidence and maturity that come from meeting the challenges of on-the-job experiences.
Additionally, UNI Business Scholarship for Social Engagement is available for students who work unpaid as an intern with a socially engaged nonprofit organization.
Get an internship your Freshman Year
As employers look for more entry-level employees with professional experience, diversified internships and co-ops are vital to your professional success. UNI Business has a large network of options and business students have been known to have two to four internships under their belt before they graduate.
According to a 2017 study by the National Association of College and Employers, nearly 91 percent of employers said candidate experience is a factor in hiring decisions. Of those surveyed, 56 percent wanted graduates to get those experiences from internships and co-ops*.
Many companies use their intern and co-op programs to hire new employees upon graduation. These companies are using their programs to eventually get a full-time employee. According to the NACE, the average offer rate to interns was 72.7 percent in 2016*.
The future looks bright for UNI Business graduates
Over 90 percent of our graduates successfully launch their professional careers within six months after graduating, either by finding employment or continuing their education at graduate or professional schools.
- The Big Four accounting firms and many other major companies and organizations have a strong presence and recruit right here on campus.
- One in five UNI Business students graduate with international experience, which looks great on a resume.
- Employers love the assertiveness and confidence our grads gain from the Professional Readiness Program.
- Our students can earn many professional credentials and licensures before they graduate, and they outperform their peers on the CPA, the CFA® Level 1 and the NASBITE Certified Global
- Business Professional exams. These exams show employers that our students know information which will help their organization from day one.
- 78 percent of our grads find jobs in Iowa, but our graduates are found from California to New York City and in countries around the world.